Monday, October 12, 2009

Vegetable growing: book review

I thought I had read most every book that was good about gardening. I have old, out-of-print books, new books, books by farmers and backyard growers. Greenhouse growers and field growers. Market garden books and seed saving books. Books about the loss of genetic diversity in the plant world and books about high altitude challenges in gardening. I gave in to temptation and bought another book. And am I ever glad I did!

If I had to give a short list of my top ten must have books on growing, this one just might be number ONE! It is that good. The author, Steve Solomon, founded Territorial Seed Company in the early 80's and now lives in Tasmania, still growing. He begins in his introduction, to talk about how he "marched to the beat of a different drummer" and how the advice of "Everyone Else" just didn't work for him. Well, that got me right there. The rebel in me, what is left of that part of me, sat up and paid attention. I do love the alternative opinion in most everything.

The book is Gardening When it Counts, Growing Food in Hard Times.
Gardening book
















Now this isn't a dry read, with lots of technical information suitable for agriculture grad students, it is written for everybody, especially those beginning to grow. I cannot tell you how his writing style and simple explanations please me. I highly recommend this book. Easy to understand and implement, using common sense, LOW COST tools and ideas. Especially attractive for the frugal grower because his ideas utilize old-time, low cost tools and inputs. From buying seeds (names names of good/bad suppliers) to saving seeds, planting seeds to transplants, watering to weeding, this one has it all.

OK, I'll stop waxing poetic now, but if you are inclined to purchase any gardening books or grow a garden for food, get this one right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment